Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Say It with Coffee Filter Flowers

Today I want to share my lovely experience making beautiful, beautiful flowers. Aren't they just gorgeous?

My kids and I made them with coffee filters, markers and food coloring. I am quite sure if you do a search for coffee filter flowers, there are probably scores of sites that show how to make them. But I didn't do that. I just sat and looked at the plain empty coffee filters and dreamed this up. So, their beauty is multiplied by my satisfaction over creating my own project. (Even though I'm sure I'm not the first. Please don't ruin it for me. Just let me have my fantasy.)

We flattened filters one at a time and then colored a band about 1/4 inch thick around the outside. At first we just started with solid colors, but before long, we were experimenting with color combinations and line forms.

Once the filters were colored, we folded them in half and then half again, and then a couple more times until they were skinny little wedges. Then we twisted the bottom portion to form a sort of stem, and lastly spread out the top part to resemble a flower's bloom.

I set out bowls of water with a drop or two of food coloring. We were limited to green, red and yellow because I ran out of blue working on a certain volcano project. With a quick and gentle dip, we submerged the colored edge of the coffee filter into the color bath. The water passed quickly through the marker, creating a luscious bleed towards the stem. We set them to dry on a wire cooling rack atop a plastic placemat.

I am utterly delighted by the richness of the colors. There was an interesting role reversal wherein my daughter hogged the black marker and I gravitated towards the pinks and purples. But I have to say, they all came out splendidly. This is definitely not the last time we'll be making a coffee-filter flower bouquet.

No comments:

Post a Comment