Sunday, January 23, 2011

Construction Paper Jungle

I'm reluctant to post something new because it would mean my last post goes further down the page and then my readers are even less likely to notice that I got a comment from one of my mom blog idols: Lydia from Rants from Mommyland!

But hopefully more posts will mean more comments--from all sorts of great people.

Now, back to this post...

A long time ago I was inspired by this paper city I saw on another blog. Rather than do that beautiful creation justice by studying it and carefully planning my own version, I instead kept the vague idea of it squirreled away in the back of my head and with my kids, threw together a slapdash version when I had run out of other ideas of how to keep them entertained one long, long, painfully long afternoon. Ours was cute, kind of, but did not have the staying power it could have. I'm going to put this inferior city of ours away and reintroduce the concept when we're all refreshed and ready to do it well.

However, coincidentally, we recently did another project that involved cut-paper buildings glued on to paper that did work. I was antsy to use shaving cream as a medium, but wanted a project that focused on something a little more than just the shaving cream. (Although, now that I write that, I am suddenly struck with two new shaving-cream-as-medium ideas: pictures of a man actually shaving [and we could use popsicle sticks to shave him!]; or a bakery full of cream pies! Oh, there is about to be so much more shaving cream art in our house....)

Our completed artwork now feels so lame compared to my fresh, new, even better ideas. But, at the time, they seemed a'ight.

We made little city neighborhoods and then had a blizzard strike. It was neat to watch the kids paint a snowfall just as one happens in nature. They started with a few apprehensive flakes, slowly picked up momentum and eventually completely deluged the scene.

(And, just in case you're wondering, Fifi is wearing her version of a babushka in these photos. A while ago, she was inspired to ask me to make one for her because of Patricia Polacco's The Keeping Quilt. Every once in a while it comes back into play for no apparent reason.)

No comments:

Post a Comment