Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Stockings Were Hung By the Crafters With Care


If I were grading this craft project, it would be akin to the grade Ralphie receives on his BB gun theme in his A Christmas Story fantasy: A + + + + + + +.

Long story short, we will have a number of Christmas Day guests at our house who will likely not be receiving many gifts. We wanted to do a little something for them to let them know they matter. Additionally, felt is one of mankind's greatest inventions.

I just needed to be about ten minutes ahead of my kids. I set up the sewing machine and cut out pairs of stocking shapes from felt I had scored at an A.C. Moore sale a few weeks back. The machine was already loaded with green thread, so I went with it. I zoomed two stocking shapes through the machine, set out two glue bottles and a smattering of craft items such as buttons, sequins and sparkly Christmas stickers I had found in a dollar-bin at CVS last year. The kids came to the table and the rest was pure delight.

Vance needed a little help squeezing the glue bottle some of the time, but he had no problem carefully selecting each sparkling sequin and brightly-colored button. Fifi went straight for the glittery stickers.

As they decorated their stockings, I cut out more stocking shapes and threw them through the machine in pairs. I finished sewing eight stockings right around the time the kids finished the joyous decorating of their first ones. They voraciously picked their next stockings, and as I watched them work I busied my own hands cutting felt stars and tying red ribbon bows.

We stopped after finishing eight stockings, but I swear we could have made eighty. It was fun, it was festive, it was in the spirit of giving. Win. Win. Win.

Now we just have to fill 'em up!

No comments:

Post a Comment